This area is now part of the new Garden of Medicinal Plants. The Pharmaceutical Garden is a display of plants which yield therapeutic compounds of proven value in current medicinal practice and are in world-wide use today. The beds are arranged according to the use of the drug derived from the plants. The collection includes plants such as Catharanthusroseus (Madagascar Periwinkle) which contains alkaloids used in anti-cancer drugs. Digitalis lanata (Woolly Foxglove) which contains a cardiac glycoside (digoxin) that is extracted directly from the leaves and is used to control and prevent abnormal heart rhythms and strengthen the heart beat. Filipendulaulmaria (Meadowsweet) is the platn from which salicylic acid was first made in 1835, leading to the introduction of asprin in 1899. Hordeumvulgare (Barley) led to the synthesis of lignocaine which is universally used as a local anaesthetic.